Lived here:The Hercock family, from the mid-1600s or earlier.
Laxton is a small village in East Northamptonshire, about 5 miles east of Kings Cliffe, close to the market towns of Stamford, Oundle, Uppingham and Oakham. For the most part the surrounding landscape is quintessential rolling English Midlands: acre upon acre of quiet pastoral land, great estates and parks
Laxton was created an Ecclesiastical Parish (originally a medieval administrative unit, but with civil functions during the 16th century) in 1265. The population seems to have remained quite small over the centuries: In 1801 Laxton's total population was 204. In 1841 the village contained only 31 houses and a population of 136. In 1901 it was 143 and by 1971 the population was 114.1
Laxton was described briefly by John Marius Wilson in Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):
LAXTON, a parish in the district of Uppingham and connty of Northampton; near the river Welland at the boundary with Rutland, 3 miles SE of Seaton r. station, and 6 SE of Uppingham. It has a post office under Uppingham. Acres, 1, 370. Real property, £1, 331. Pop., 119. Houses, 28. The property is divided among a few. Laxton Hall is the seat of Lord Carberry; has a fine Ionic portico, and a fine vestibule; and contains a good collection of pictures, chiefly by the old masters. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, not reported. Patron, Lord Carberry. The church is very ancient, and was recently in a dilapidated condition. There is a small free school.2
The Hercock family lived here from the mid 1600s, and probably earlier.
Other links of interest:
The GeeBeePhoto site has more photos of Northamptonshire : Rose of the Shires