Marden, Kent

Married here:

Robert Potter and Sarah Ann Wickham, 31st of August, 1856.

Born here:

Robert Potter (1832), Albert Potter (1857), Elizabeth Potter (c1859).

The name Marden is derived from the Anglo Saxon Maere dene (a forest clearing for horses) or Maera dene (the boundary forest clearing). It first appears on record as Maeredaen around 1100.

It is believed that a church was founded here before the invasion by William the Conqueror in 1066. The present church was built just before 1200 by the monks of Lesnes Abbey.

In 1331 the export of unwashed wool was prohibited by King Edward III. He encouraged weavers from Flanders to settle in England and bring their weaving and dying techniques. Marden and some of its neighbouring villages soon became important centres of the Broadcloth manufacturing industry.

Once the weaving industry had moved on, the village reverted to its old agricultural heritage, but as time went on the villagers became poorer, and many emigrated. In the early 1830's, during the infamous "Swing" riots, the population attacked farms and the new machinery which they felt were taking their jobs.

At the present time, Marden is mostly a commuter village with about 20% of its occupants working in London, and travelling via the quick Ashford line into the city. The remainder work in the surrounding area.

Other links of interest:

The Marden History website gives lots of additional historical details.

For everything you ever wanted to know about oast houses click here


This page last modified 18 April 2010.
Copyright © 2010. All rights reserved.
Dan Cross: Ph: (09) 6290052